Can Dogs Eat Mushrooms? (November 2018)

A lot of people love mushrooms – I’m not one of those people. They don’t really taste like much to me.

Although, can dogs eat mushrooms?

Are mushrooms safe for dogs to eat?

If so, which types of mushrooms can dogs eat?

Let’s answer all of these important questions!

Can Dogs Eat Mushrooms?

Yes and no, dogs can and cannot eat mushrooms.

Basically, it all depends on the mushroom in question. There are approximately 100 different types of mushrooms that are considered to be poisonous to dogs.

However, mushrooms that you’ll find in your local grocery store are all safe enough to give your dog – they aren’t toxic to them.

Mushrooms That Are Bad for Dogs

Whether a certain type of mushroom is poisonous or is going to wreak havoc on your dog’s body, it’s important to know which ones should be kept away and the symptoms you can look for.

Amanita is the most dangerous type of mushroom for a dog to ingest. They contain amanitin toxins that cause extreme gastrointestinal signs within a period of between 6 to 24 hours. Beware the false recovery period – your dog isn’t better and will get sick again.

Liver failure after ingesting an amanita mushroom will begin between 36 to 48 hours after ingestion, followed by acute kidney injury during the end stages.

Dogs can experience amanita-type poisoning from other mushrooms, including galerina, A. phalloids (death angel and death cap), A. ocreataand lepiota mushrooms.

Amanita muscaria as well as A. pantherina mushrooms, which are a different type of Armanita mushrooms, contain ibotenic acid and muscimol – both toxic to dogs. Seizures, tremors, drunk-like walking, and severe sedation are all common symptoms.

Clitocybe dealbata and Inocybe spp. mushrooms contain the muscarine toxin and cause intense neurologic symptoms, diarrhea, urination, lacrimation, and salivation.

Gyromitra spp., or the false morel, causes profuse diarrhea and vomiting – but this doesn’t always end in fatality. Seizures can occur, but this isn’t always common. Gyromitra spp., agaricus, entoloma, and boletus mushrooms all cause quite a bit of gastrointestinal irritation, but they rarely are responsible for killing dogs. Symptoms of ingestion usually show themselves between 1 to 6 hours after ingestion and tend to go away after a day or 2.

Psilocybe, Gymnopilus spp., Conocybe, and other types of hallucinogenic mushrooms aren’t all that life-threatening for dogs, but that doesn’t mean your dog can trip with you. Symptoms of ingesting hallucinogenic mushrooms include acting abnormal, abnormal eye movement, signs of ataxia, and hypothermia.

What to Do if Your Dog Eats a Mushroom

The best way to help your dog after he’s eaten a mushroom is to see if any of it is left. If so, make sure you wrap it up in a paper towel that’s slightly damp, bag it, and bring it with you.

The only thing you can do now is take your dog to the vet immediately and hope for the best.

3 thoughts on “Can Dogs Eat Mushrooms? (November 2018)

Add yours

  1. Have you ever heard of Canine Matrix? They’re a great brand of mushrooms for dogs (also human quality, as said by a representative of the brand) the Zen formula is especially amazing and I’ve heard great reviews from coworkers and customers! I work at a pet supply store 😁

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Create a website or blog at WordPress.com

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: