By now, every dog owner has heard horror stories about someone’s dog eating grapes and dying.
Believe every story you hear about grapes causing toxicity and kidney failure in dogs!!
Grapes are tasty and healthy for humans to eat, but they can be lethal for dogs if they ingest even just ONE.
Can Dogs Eat Grapes?
No, dogs cannot eat grapes.
Fruits and other products that are from the Vitis vinifera grapevine should never be given to your dog. Grapes, raisins, and sultanas all grow from this grapevine and should never be in your dog’s reach.
The overall effect of eating grapes and the probably toxicity and kidney failure don’t present themselves the same way in two dogs – it’s different for each dog who ingests a grape.
While one dog may eat one and be fine, another may eat one or two and it’ll be fatal. Even though the risks can be low if your dog only has a few grapes, that does not mean they can have any.
A dog weighing 9kg has the chance to pass away after only eating four to five grapes.
There are still a lot of unknown territory when it comes to what happens to a dog when they eat grapes. Obviously because no one wants to test this “theory” and because, depending on the dog, ingesting grapes can become fatal very quickly.
If your dog is experiencing the following symptoms, he may have eaten grapes:
- Abdominal pain
- Loss of energy
- Little to no appetite
- Being unusually quiet
- Small passes of urine or no urine at all
- Foul breath
Call your vet or your local animal poison control if know, or even suspect, that your dog has ingested even a single grape.