Dogs are carnivorous creatures by nature and require a diet that revolves around eating other animals. Please note, if you feed your dog a vegetarian or vegan diet like a lot of people try to do, I’ll boot your door in and make you suffer.
Dogs on a raw diet absolutely thrive in the best ways possible. In fact, there are a number of reports that showcase how a dog’s health can drastically improve when they are put on a diet consisting of raw ingredients compared to dogs on a kibble diet.
Though we will get into the full extent of the health benefits of raw dog food at a later time, here are a couple of quick benefits for you to look over:
• Great for managing weight
• Visible reduction in allergy symptoms
• Helps to develop a healthier coat and skin
• An improved digestive system and firmer stools
One of the biggest downsides of having your dog on a raw diet, however, is the fact that it’s not exactly convenient. Fortunately, there are commercial raw products that you can get online. This review will be focusing on Amazon Canada, but rest assured, I’ll have an Amazon USA one drawn up next!
For those who want their dog to have a raw, healthy diet but don’t have the time it takes to do it properly, I’ve found the best raw dog food products you can get on Amazon Canada.
Stella & Chewy’s Freeze-Dried Raw Dinner Patties for Dogs
For those who aren’t familiar with the brand, Stella & Chewy’s is a brand that has been around for as long as I can remember. All of their fruits and vegetables come from organic-certified farmers who they personally know and trust, without any ingredients coming from China.
• Grain-free, unprocessed and protein-rich – 95% poultry with nutrient-rich organs
• Wild-caught, cage-free, grass-fed animal protein ingredients
Their 14 oz Duck Duck Goose Dinner Patties has a useful table on the product page that helps you decide how many you need to feed your dog on a daily basis.
5 lbs – 2 patties
6 to 10 lbs – 3 and 1/2 patties
11 to 15 lbs – 4 and 1/2 patties
16 to 20 lbs – 6 patties
21 to 40 lbs – 10 patties
41 to 60 lbs – 13 and 1/2 patties
61 to 80 lbs – 17 patties
81 to 100 lbs – 19 and 1/2 patties
The above table is just a given guideline from Stella and Chewy’s, but you also need to keep your dog’s activity in mind. Individual requirements can and do vary based on your dog’s overall activity level, their general health, age, metabolism, etc.
There are a number of different sizes and flavors available for you to choose from, too!
Stewart Raw Naturals Freeze Dried Dog Food
Stewart is a brand that not everybody may know, but it’s one that your dog is definitely going to love. Stewart Raw Naturals Freeze Dried Dog Food comes in a 12 oz pouch with a lovely beef flavor.
• Prepared using whole meats, fruits, vegetables and other natural ingredients
• The recipes are freeze dried in order to retain their natural vitamins, amino acids, and minerals to be as beneficial as possible to your dog’s health
Like the previous review, Stewart has given a table of directions for feeding instructions that go by your dog’s weight.
5 to 15 lbs – 1/4 to 3/4 cups
16 to 25 lbs – 3/4 to 1/4 cups
26 to 50 lbs – 1 1/4 to 2 1/2 cups
51 to 75 lbs – 2 1/2 to 3 3/4 cups
Once again, these are just general guidelines for your daily feeding schedule.
Sojos Natural Pet Food Complete Raw Dog Food Mix
Sojos Natural Pet Food is a brand that will no doubt steal your dog’s heart. They boast a number of beneficial, healthy products that are grain-free, natural, and mouthwatering to your dog. A bag of Sojos Natural Pet Food Complete Raw Mix is the best way to get the most bang for your buck.
• Add water to the mix, let it soak for a couple of minutes, and it will turn into a full meal
• Their 2-pound bag, which has a turkey flavor, is actually 10 pounds due to the addition of the water
• Contains all natural, premium ingredients without any artificial preservatives
You can save up to 5% when you use Subscribe and Save, as well.
Addiction Pet Foods Raw Perfect Summer Brushtail
Addiction Pet Foods will give your dog something they can really sink their teeth into. Soon enough, Addiction Pet Foods Raw Perfect Summer Brushtail will become your dog’s favorite flavor, especially because it’s one of the best premium protein alternatives to chicken, lamb, and beef, so you’ll be just as happy.
• Packed with more than 45% wild brushtail
• Contains sunflower seeds, minerals, and essential vitamins
• Incredibly rich in Omega 3 to promote healthy coats and skin
You can choose from a 2-pound box or an 8-pound box. It’s also important that you pay attention to the feeding transition chart provided by the company, which I’ll sum up for you below:
Day 1 to 2 – 25%
Day 3 to 4 – 50%
Day 5 to 6 – 75%
Day 7 to 10 – 100%
The above information isn’t a recommendation. It’s something you need to do, so make sure you keep this information handy after you make your purchase!
Merrick Backcountry Raw-Infused Red Meat Dry Food
I know, this isn’t a traditional raw product, but it has everything you’d get in a raw diet without it actually being “raw”. Before you scroll to the next product review, I highly advise that you give this one a chance.
Merrick Backcountry is a company that delivers all-natural, grain-free, ancestral raw-infused products that your dog deserves. Unlike your traditional kibble brand, all of their products come with freeze-dried pieces of fish or chicken depending on the flavor you buy.
• Real pieces of freeze-dried chicken or fish for a fresh, real, raw-infused recipe
• Each recipe is rich in Omega fatty acids for a healthy coats and skin
• Also contains leading levels of Chondroitin and Glucosamine for healthy joints and hips
• Grain and gluten-free to eliminate tough digestion
You can choose from Game Bird Recipe, Great Plains Red Meat Recipe, Pacific Catch Recipe, Puppy Recipe, and their Chicken Recipe in 4 lbs, 12 lbs, or 22 lbs.